Justin Townsend (MycoMeditations): The Many Modalities of Mushroom Retreats
There are only a few places in the world which offer legal access to high impact psilocybin retreats. MycoMeditations, stewarded by today’s guest Justin Townsend, is leading the way in ethical psychedelic healing in the unique context of Jamaica.
On the show, we discuss Jungian-depth psychology and other therapeutic modalities used at MycoMeditations. We talk about the value of a comprehensive, holistic team of caregivers for cathartic experiences. We review the efficacy of psilocybin as compared to ketamine therapy and ayahuasca ceremonies. Finally, we discuss the landscape of psychedelic healing in Jamaica and the importance of ethical entheogenic businesses.
MycoMeditations is a retreat that combines the powerful healing of multiple, high-dose psilocybin experiences, a safe and caring group environment created by a knowledgeable support staff, and serene locations to catalyze life-changing transformations.
As a business leader and startup advisor in a range of industries including the health care space, Justin Townsend has also been on a personal quest to explore alternative healing therapies to combat his own anxiety and depression. Over the past 20 years, Justin has delved into both transpersonal and Jungian psychology, explored psychedelic modes of healing and developed meditation and breathwork techniques, which he taught in Germany. Justin joined the MycoMeditations team in 2017, becoming partner and CEO in 2019. As a retreat facilitator, Justin draws inspiration from the profound healing he is privileged to witness and believes that psychedelics offer an exciting path forward for mental health.
- :05 - Justin’s introduction to psychedelics
- :10 - Jungian depth psychology and psychedelic healing
- :16 - Comprehensive support team at MycoMeditations
- :23 - The efficacy psilocybin vs ketamine or ayahuasca for depression treatment
- :30 - The most effective psychological modalities when working with psilocybin
- :38 - The landscape of psychedelics in Jamaica
- :48 - Advice to therapists wishing to work in the mushroom space.