Martijn Schirp (Synthesis): The Container is More Important than the Medicine
Building a psychedelic company is a lot like creating a healing container. It starts with understanding your role. Something Martijn Schirp, founder of Synthesis, a psilocybin retreat center and institute in the Netherlands discovered early on.
On the show we discuss Martijn’s initial roles as facilitator and then CEO of Synthesis and the value of having a comprehensive team. We compare ketamine and psilocybin and the efficacy of a communal setting for healing. We explore creating a safe healing container from medical screening all the way to evidence-based integration. Finally we discuss the stewardship model as the future of psychedelic business.
Synthesis is a legal, professionally guided truffle retreat center for professionals to experience personal growth, emotional breakthroughs, and spiritual development. Their expert team of facilitators and meditation and breathwork instructors, create an experience that blends the best of ancient wisdom, with cutting edge science.
First as CEO and now as Chief Visionary Officer Martijn has driven the vision of Synthesis Institute since he co-founded the company in 2018. He previously co-founded HighExistence and Apotheosis. His work and identity as an entrepreneur is strongly influenced by eco-phenomenological thought, and by his decade-long personal practice with Buddhism and Shamanism. He is currently focused on scaling opportunities for flourishing, well-being, and transformation through the synthesis of contemplative practices, immersive technology, and psychedelics.
- Synthesis: https://www.synthesisretreat.com/
- Martijn on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/martijnschirp
- Synthesis on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/synthesisinstitute
- :05 - Martijn’s style of leadership
- :14 - The value of having a comprehensive, integrated team at Synthesis
- :19 - Ketamine vs psilocybin and the value of a communal setting for healing
- :23 - How Synthesis creates a healing “container”
- :30 - Integration, evidence-based care, and post retreat risks
- :38 - Comprehensive medical screening protocols
- :46 - The stewardship model as the future of psychedelic business
- 1:00 - Advice to psychedelic therapists