Joseph Barsuglia: Is 5-MeO-DMT the Future of Psychedelic Medicine?
5-MeO-DMT could be the future of psychedelic medicine, but as Dr. Joseph Barsuglia explains, this would require a complete redesign of our current model of care.
What if you could have a more potent mystical experience than psilocybin in a quarter of the time? 5-MeO-DMT could be the future of psychedelic medicine, but as Dr. Joseph Barsuglia explains, this would require a complete redesign of our current model of care.
On the show, we discuss the nature of mystical experiences as well as our current understanding of the science of 5-MeO-DMT. Joseph reveals some of the drug development companies interested in medicalization as well as his concerns about this process. We finish with the environmental considerations for the bufo alvarious toad and lessons this medicine has for the psychedelic movement.
Joseph is a PhD neuropsychologist and the former Director of Clinical Assessment and Research at Crossroads Treatment Center which developed a protocol following ibogaine with 5-MeO-DMT. Trained with MAPS and initiated in the Bwiti tradition in Gabon, Joseph advises on psychedelic medicine and alternative healthcare.
- :05 - The protocol of ibogaine + 5-MeO-DMT at Crossroads Treatment Center
- :13 - The nature of mystical experiences
- :20 - The science of 5-MeO-DMT
- :24 - Specific drug development companies working with 5-MeO
- :33 - Concerns about the medicalization of 5-MeO-DMT
- :38 - The Conclave, a group of anonymous facilitators offer best practices and integration guides for 5-MeO online
- :46 - Environmental concerns for bufo alvarious
- :57 - Lessons from 5-MeO-DMT for the psychedelic movement generally